We welcome you to the Mount Richmond Hotel and thank you for choosing to stay here. We would like to assure that we care about our people and our hotel and that everything possible is done to make your stay as pleasant and as memorable as possible.
As part of our commitment to you our guest, we are continually reviewing and adapting our practices, both internally and externally, to make sure that we are taking full advantage of all initiatives that will assist us in creating a positive impact in our city of Auckland and in our local communities. With the cooperation of you, our guests, our staff, our business partners, and the influencers within our community we continually strive to make a better environment for all of us to enjoy. Our hotel strives to Comply with all applicable environmental laws, statutes, and regulations as we try to actively reduce any adverse effects through buying wisely, using resources efficiently, disposing of waste responsibly, and providing an environmentally and socially responsible experience to our guests.
Whilst you will find the hotel is in close proximity to many commercial businesses, the motorway and positioned equidistance between our international airport and the CBD it is also within walking distance to one of Auckland’s most exciting retail shopping centres. You will also find the extensive planting within the hotel grounds assists us in providing you with a clean air and peaceful calming environment. All plants have been chosen for their tolerance to the local climate thus negating the need to provide an irrigation system. With a mixture of palms -and natives, the physical surroundings provide shelter, shade and ambience to the attractive garden bar and poolside area. This space is further enhanced by an all-weather roof, drop down cafe curtains and energy efficient gas heaters enabling you to enjoy this area year-round.
Perhaps the hotel’s greatest asset is our staff. Auckland is rich in many cultures, particularly from the South Pacific which are renowned for their friendly, relaxed and welcoming peoples, and this very representative of the welcome that is in store for you at Mount Richmond Hotel. Most of our staff live within relatively close proximity to the hotel and so have a special interest in the area and to upholding and conveying that Pacific vibrancy and warmth. Our staff have actively embraced our environmental and sustainability policies and are well versed in all aspects of our goals and aspirations.
To ensure that we keep abreast of these most important goals we work within the following guidelines and principles.
- Set sound environmental and social objectives and targets and integrate a process of review and reporting.
- Continuously improve environmental performance and reduce environmental impact of our activities.
- Create environmental awareness among our employees, customers, suppliers, and the community at large.
- Reducing our energy consumption.
- Reducing our waste output.
- Conserving water.
- Adhere to a strict wise buying policy.
- Provide eco tips for guests.
Our current procedures include:
- Organisation, Reporting and Departmental Management involvement.
- Have a written environmental and responsible tourism policy document.
- Have a staff member assigned to managing environmental issues.
- Energy Management initiative to achieving a reduction in the energy consumption of our hotel.
- Have effective energy efficient lighting installed.
- Have a guest towel reuse/bed linen changing program in place to save water.
- Water Management programme with water saving devices fitted to reduce water consumption.
- Have low flush toilets fitted and water saving devices installed in all toilets.
- Service equipment regularly to ensure it is functioning efficiently.
- Comply with national waste regulations.
- Collect recyclable items separately (cardboard, plastic, glass, metals, food waste, etc.).
- Have replaced disposable items with reusable ones e.g., refillable soap and shampoo containers, cloth laundry bags, rechargeable batteries, etc.
- Avoid using single use condiments (jam, butter, etc) with more packaging, in favour of reusable containers.
- Have waste bins provided for guests around the hotel.
- Source products from local suppliers wherever possible.
- List the use of organic/local and fair-trade ingredients on restaurant menus.
- Choose to work with suppliers who have a code of practice setting out minimum standards and/or an environmental policy.
- Buy products in bulk to minimise packaging.
- Customer Education.
- Encourage guests to buy products that are made locally.
- Provide guests with information and encouragement to follow energy saving practices e.g., switching off lights, air conditioning, reusing towels, etc.
- Educate guests about how they can make a positive contribution to local biodiversity and conservation efforts.
- Encourage guests to explore the destination beyond the boundaries of the property.
- Employee Training
- Include environmental aspects into employee training, such as how to reduce energy, water and waste.
We hope that when your stay with us ends, you will feel that you have contributed, either directly or indirectly, to our commitment to minimise harm to the environment that we live and do business in.
MOUNT RICHMOND HOTEL